1. Plan Ahead
- Walk through each room and criticize the home from a buyer’s perspective.
- Consider getting a professional home inspection to see if any repairs are needed.
- Hire a contractor to handle any major projects.
- Consider getting an appraisal to find out your current market value.
- Hold a yard sale. Sell, donate or trash anything you don’t need.
2. Clean, De-clutter and De-personalize
- Thoroughly clean the entire home including scrubbing the tile in the kitchen and bathrooms and clean hardwood floors, clean carpets, and drapes.
- Repair cracks and holes in the walls.
- Remove excess and oversized furniture to maximize space.
- Organize room closets and store out-of-season clothes.
- Remove all small appliances, toys, magazines and pet items.
- Remove family photos, personal collections and medications.
- Remove items from the garage and store them off site.
3. Maximize Curb Appeal
- Power wash the siding and windows.
- Sweep the entryway and walkways.
- Mow, water and fertilize the lawn and plant colorful flowers and shrubs.
4. Appeal to the Senses
- Bake cookies or burn scented candles.
- Install higher wattage incandescent light bulbs to brighten rooms.
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open windows to let in fresh air.
- Open curtains or blinds to let in natural light and show off views.
5. Show Off Your Home’s Best Features
- Remove rugs to show off hardwood floors.
- Pull back drapes to showcase nice views.
- Stage the front porch or deck with furniture and potted plants.
- Make sure fireplaces are in working condition.
- Clean the backyard and pool area.