Have you been looking for a fun Fourth of July dessert to make with the whole family? These super easy box-cake cupcakes are a delicious, fun, and maybe a bit messy activity to get the family into a festive mood this Independence Day!
What you’ll need
- 1 boxed cake mix – any flavor that your family loves. We chose Duncan Hines Yellow Cake box mix.
- 2 or 3 small tubs of white frosting – any flavor is fine here as well, just make sure the frosting is white so you can color it!
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles (optional)
- Tiny decorative American flags on a toothpick (optional)
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake tin
- Piping bag (optional)
- Piping tip (optional)
- Plastic wrap (optional)
- Non-stick spray
What to do
- Bake cupcakes according to the instructions on the box. Don’t forget to spray your cupcake tin with non-stick spray and don’t overfill your cupcakes! Once baked, allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Split your white frosting into three separate bowls. Add red food coloring to one bowl, a little at a time, and stir into frosting until it reaches the color of your liking. Repeat with the other bowl with blue food coloring. Leave the third bowl for white frosting.
- Now that your frosting is colored, you can really go crazy and do whatever you want! Have the kids frost their own cupcakes and see how creative they can get or fill a bowl with sprinkles so they can dip their frosted cupcakes in and totally cover the frosting in sprinkles.
- If you want to get fancy with the frosting, you can break out the piping bags, piping tips, and plastic wrap. Take a square of plastic wrap, dump some of the blue frosting into the middle, then wrap the plastic around the frosting like you’re wrapping up a Tootsie Roll – roll it up into a log and twist the ends on both sides to seal everything in. Repeat with the two other colors of frosting.
- Prepare your piping bag with the piping tip inside. Snip one twisted side off of each of the frosting bags and orient all three bags, cut tip down, into the piping bag. Snip the tip of the piping bag and move the piping tip through so its unobstructed. Make sure you have one hand securing the bag at the top, while your dominant hand maneuvers the bag to frost your cupcakes. Continue decorating to your own taste!
- Enjoy your splendid work with your family!